Friday, June 22, 2012

Norway´s most enchanting building

So, in the other entry I mentioned going to the Opera House for the first time.

Now, let's just say a few kind words about "the" building. (And I do think this is Oslo´s prime building)

The power of imagination, isn't?

Photo from Wikipedia (I can´t take such photos with a mobile´s camera!)

According to Wikipedia: The Oslo Opera House "is the largest cultural building constructed in Norway since 1300."  (I suppose Norwegians need time to make a decision.. only kidding!)

A unique feature of this architectural treasure that it the building in marble is imposing but not intimidating. You (and even animals) feel welcomed.  


Unlike those icons of modern architecture the building feels open-minded, you can just walk in, without feeling too tiny to be let inside -- which is what happens when one enters some of today´s modern buildings in the world's largest cities.  (They are gorgeous but seem to have this air of "exclusivity" suggesting people are welcome depending on the size of their wallet).

When was the last time you could freely walk up to rooftop, sit and read a book, take a nap or listen to a concert?  I found it very cool to see some many teenagers just hanging around.


The building merges with the water leaving you with a strange urban-beach feeling.

The front side merges cement with water
 (And you might be thinking that Oslo will get too cold to be doing these things... Well, you just go inside and have some hot chocolate. No big deal.)


I normally do not post photos of myself but this one is too symbolic to go unloaded.
I remember when I was living in London I always, always marvelled at the city, in the morning, at night when I saw Tower Bridge or the House of Commons, for example, I made the point of seeing the new in the usual sights. 


I never took London for granted. And certainly I plan to stick to that attitude in Oslo too.

I do not want to ever "get used" to the enchanting powers of this Opera House.