Thursday, June 28, 2012

When in Rome...do as the Romans do...

(Good) reading is good for the soul

I am half way through a 1242 page book...

Bienvenidos...


It was sunnier than the clouds suggest
O as in Oslo

Yesterday was sunny and the cafe, bars, and parks were packed with happy Oslovians.  This city is quite open minded and you can do pretty much what you please.  But make no mistake: You will not be allowed to stay inside if the weather is good.  You must go out.

Having grown up in a country with plenty of sunshine makes a different. I never feel the urge to do a BBQ o go to a park with a swimming suit to make the most of a sunny day (at 16C which, frankly, it is not that warm!).  But it is fun to watch.

I had lots to read, lots to study, and so I joined the rest of the city in one of the sunny terraces. For the first time ever, I ordered in Norwegian. 

Jeg vil gjerne ha et glass hvitvin...
(I would like to have a glass of white wine...)



I felt like the 5-year old girl buying ice cream by herself, for the first time.

This is becoming an inseparable companion. 


We went to watch the match Spain vs Portugal.  I could hardly watch the penalities. 

Sadly, there was a drunk young man at the pub who got a bit aggressive and got in such an ugly fight. The police had to come to arrest him.  He smashed a glass of beer against a glass lamp.  Much to my horror.

Clearly, I did not make any photographs.