Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It worked!


The open cafe near the bookshop

This afternoon, I went to the Literature House of Oslo and it worked. I was "in the zone."  (see previous entry)

I loved the House's atmosphere, its tribute to books, the friendly faces.

For the first time in 5 weeks, I re-entered the novel, the world of my characters.

It is not that easy to deal with the novel while I settle in Oslo - and do my low-carbon job as well!  But I think it is doable if I convince myself that it is. I just have to stick to a writing routine that works with my new life here.


Nice to see Marquez remember and in good company...

Stairway to...
This week I received the feedback from my writing class at The Guardian's Masterclasses. My teacher, the poet and writer Adam Foulds, emailed my the feedback on my 10,000 word submission. And it was very helpful to read about the strengths and the areas for improvement.  I suppose he asks a central question: Whose story is it?  The nice thing is that his following point give me guidance on where to put my energy in the next weeks: "Of course the answer to that can be more than one person, or a number of thematic preoccupations that bind the various strands together."  I need to invest energy in making sure the different sections made work together.  Writing this story feels like a putting together a puzzle, I have the pieces but I need to discover how they will (finally) fit together.

(Lovely, lovely... But must say: I still need to get used to Oslo's £4 lattes!)