Monday, March 3, 2014

Back to my writing, here is a quick update

I had not type a word in here since July.

Life has been colorful, so generous and seriously happy.

I stopped writing last year in my blog and even personal diary.

It was as if the stream of public events in 2013 weakened the link between the real world and the inner workings of my imagination.

Then came the adorable wedding in a small town in Norway (the Costa Rica celebration is coming soon!). And perhaps the avalanche of happiness and hapennings further conspired against my writing.  I have officially stopped writing my novel later in 2015.

Here are a few highlights that explain my busy year.

I witnessed first hand one of the most surreal episodes in Costa Rican electoral politics when a Doctor-turned-Candidate created a political mess by quitting the race, twice.  For a few weeks I was a Vice President candidate and I quit after he did, the first time and never came back.


Inevitably, what I witnessed first hand spoiled the vision I had held that I could and should help by country by working in public office.

This and the refinery scandal (see other entries) have convinced me that positive and brave change in our society will come from citizen movements, not political parties.

Young people hold the key.



So I founded a citizens organization called Costa Rica Limpia which I now direct ("Clean Costa Rica" means clean in the environmental terms but also from an anti-corruption standpoint).  One of the first campaigns we launched provided citizes with our analysis of the main candidates´s proposals on clean development and sustainability during the campaign. We even made it to a radio program where they had to answer our questions.


Our Facebook page has won over 27,000 followers and we are now with our second campaign.

I work with three amazing young women María Jose, Alejandra and Lucía to the right. They are fun and inspired me for their passion to build a fairer and cleaner economy at home.


Bjørn and I are spending time in San Jose and Oslo. He focuses mostly on Norway and I on Costa Rica.

Here Bjørn is preparing a Norwegian Christmas cake and developing a system that fights the humid weather...

The most solid improvement in my quality of life is not doing world travel as I once did when I was working on international climate negotiations.

I love my post-climate negotiations life.

I love to be grounded and to have reduced what had become a ridiculous carbon footprint for an advocate of climate protection.

Costa Rica and Norway are aching beauty. We count our good fortunes and never take them for granted.

And the question now is: when will I re-connect with my novel?

En Noruega, verano (Inderøy)

En Costa Rica, verano (Manuel Antonio)