Sunday, September 16, 2012

Discovering Cecilia Samartín in Norway

This month, Oslo has given books and writers with big hug.

The Olso book festival just finished.  And this city is such a trunk of surprises.

I found out that Cecilia Samartín (more information about her is here ) was coming to town.  I did not know her.  But I discovered she is a popular writer in Norway and was very interested in hearing her talk.

So I met her at one of her talks in  Oslo.  Her dedication to her characters and their destinies was very touching. She shared how her newest novel, Dona Maria (was inspired by the ladies in white in Cuba which are nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize). She said that taking part in the right vs left debate is not what drives her. Instead she is committed to tell the stories of courage, especially by women.  She sees herself as a humanista.

She mentioned boleros and because Norwegians did not know what they were she then sang unplugged.  That was a treat.

Cecilia Samartín is a phycologist who turn herself into a writer.  How much do I admire people who go through this scary but wonderful transformation!

When I approached her, I told her a bit about what I am writing about and she was encouraging. When I meet writers like her I confirm that the lack of formal training in literature does not have to be an obstacle.   After the conversation I left the building with a great "go-for-it-with-all-your-passion-and-everything-will-be-fine" feeling.

Writing a novel is an insane amout of work - mental and physical. She said, what I have heard other writers say: ideally one writes before dawn, that's when the characters come... I am not getting up at 5am (yet) but I am definitively getting up 2 hours earlier than usual.

Since the talk (and also in response to the American-Norwegian literature festival), I have been more convince than ever that in the grand scheme of things becoming a published writer is an art of self-belief which has a very clear daily implication: discipline and endurance - with a bit of magic.