Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Paul Auster & Siri Hustvedt in Oslo

What happy surprise it was to find this note posted at Bookshop's window in Oslo's main street:



And for a change, I was able to make it - instead of being somewhere else working!

The bookshop was packed and they improvised some readings that in the end turned out well.

I waited - with a big smile on my face - for about 1:30 hrs before I had the chance to get them to sign my books.

In the meantime I had the chance to talk to some lovely Norwegian ladies - who knew Paul Auster were there mostly because of his wife the novelist Siri Hustvedt (American of Norwegian decent). 

In case you do not know, Paul Auster is one of my favorite writers, I would say top 3. And Book of Illusions has a spelling effect on me.  I would be happy to read it again.

If you have not read it any of his books, this one or The Brookling Follies are good novels to enter the world of his imagination.  As for Siri Hustvedt, "What I loved" or "The Shaking Woman o History of My Nerves."

He jokingly said that writers must ignore others say or write about them if they are to preserve their sanity.  That dictum - I would argue - applies to us all!

We thought we only had to sign books!

The line was about 2 hours long. . .